The Monument Quilt (led by FORCE: Upsetting Rape Culture) seeks a development contractor.
The Monument Quilt is an on-going collection of stories from survivors of rape and abuse. Written, stitched, and painted onto red fabric, our stories are displayed in city and town centers to create and demand public space to heal. The quilt resists the popular and narrow narrative of how sexual violence occurs by telling many stories, not one. The quilt builds a new culture where survivors are publicly supported, rather than publicly shamed.
To date, over 1200 collected quilt squares have been displayed in 22 different cities across the US (read more on CNN and MSNBC). As the quilt continues to grow, survivors, loved ones and supporters are encouraged to make a square. In a culminating display in Washington DC, 6,000 fabric squares will blanket over one mile of the national mall to spell “Not Alone.”
The Monument Quilt launched in 2013 with a Kickstarter that raised $27,000. Since then, the project has raised over $200,000 in grants, individual donations, online campaigns and in-kind donations. We are looking for someone with a track record of successful fundraising that can increase our individual donor base through donor acquistion, retention and upgrading current donors, while creating a new major gifts program.
- Work with the Monument Quilt team to successfully raise $80,000.
- Work with the Monument Quilt leadership team to identify development needs and goals, and create a short and long-term development plan.
- Conduct prospect research.
- Secure major donors ($2,500+) to support the Monument Quilt, including through prospect research, donor cultivation, and ongoing appreciation.
- Solicit business and corporate support through cash and in-kind donations, community give-back opportunities and event sponsorship
- Maintain donor and grant databases and files, including logging donations, generating and sending donor acknowledgements and logging donor appreciation efforts
- Successfully organizing an online donor drives.
- Creating and promoting fundraising events intended to raise awareness of the project and cultivate new donors for the organization
- Track and evaluate all development efforts
- Contribute to the long-term fundraising strategy for the Monument Quilt
- Track and report hours and work accomplished
- On a case by case basis, assist with research for grant funding opportunities and work with the leadership team to submit proposals to support The Monument Quilt
An ideal candidate must:
- Have a track record of successfully organizing a mjor gift campaign.
- Have experience obtaining corporate donations, organizing fundraising events, and running grassroots fundraising drives
- Be responsible, flexible, hard‐working, ethical, and committed to the mission of The Monument Quilt and Force: Upsetting Rape Culture
- Possess a high level of organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Possess solid oral and written communication skills
- Be skilled at a variety of computer skills, e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat are mandatory; knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop a plus
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks
- This contract is for a 6 month period, from December 1, 2015 – May 31, 2016 with an option for renewal dependent on fundraising successes
- The Development Consultant is expected to work up to 20 hours/week.
- The job provides a $9600 stipend to be paid in monthly installments of $1600.
- E‐mail cover letter, resume, and writing sample to upsettingrapeculture AT gmail DOT com with subject line of “Application for Development Contractor”
- People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- In resume or cover letter, please list amounts raised in previous positions for previous fundraising efforts.